This Travel Tuesday, I’m encouraging you to plan a trip to a National Park Service site this Saturday, September 27. Why? Because they are free for National Public Lands Day! There are over 400 units of the National Park Service. These sites encompass our natural, cultural, and historic heritage. These parks vary from the well-known – Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon – to the lesser-known gems, like Maggie L. Walker National Historical Site in Richmond, Virginia. Some, like Maggie L. Walker NHS are free every day, but many charge a nominal entrance fee. These fees are very reasonable; $5 a person or $20 a car, for example. Children 15 and younger are free at National Park sites. But, if this cost is prohibitive to you or you just like to save money whenever you can, Saturday is the day to go out and see your National Parks!
Not everyone lives right down the street from a gem such as Yosemite. But many of you may live within a couple hours of a less high-profile National Park Service site and not even know it. With over 400 units, there’s a good chance you do! Check out www.nps.gov to search for the site nearest you!
Why should you visit a National Park site this Saturday?
- Free admission! We’ve already established that, but I’ll say it again because you can’t get better than free!
- Walk trails! It’s a gorgeous time of year to be outside!
- Make Learning Fun! Science and history are way more fun when you are actually there!
- Junior Ranger Program! Children complete an activity book to earn a patch or badge. It’s a great way to keep the children engaged and helps them retain what they learn during the visit.
- Bring a picnic lunch! Added savings and some great family fun!
*Please note that some parks charge “user fees” that are not covered under the fee-free weekend. It is best to call ahead and see which fees will be waived on Saturday.*
Busy this weekend? Plan ahead for Veterans Day, November 11 when National Park sites will host another fee-free day!
Do you have a favorite National Park Site? Are you going to be partaking in the free day? Feel free to share your experiences!
- Using God’s Words to Cain When Counseling Our Teens
- What I’m Reading Wednesday: The Gospel of Jesus, Narrated by Garrison Keillor