Shopping for healthier options can be overwhelming in the sea of processed food that is our standard grocery store. The Wellness Wife to the rescue! I’m all about shopping for healthier alternatives. And, I’m all about saving money. So, saving money on healthy products is a dream come true. Periodically, I will feature Affordable Healthy Shopping 101 with tips on how to shop healthy without breaking the bank.
Since I just received my latest Vitacost order, I thought we’d focus on online shopping today. Since coupons for the items on your healthy shopping list are almost non-existent, you must look to online shopping for the best deals. With over 46,000 products at up to 50% off retail, Vitacost makes it easy and affordable to shop for your wellness needs. Their customer service was recently rated second only to Amazon. I can’t say enough about the speed of shipping.
I am sharing what I bought and why with the hopes that it help you reflect on the shopping choices you make.
- Eden Foods Organic Dried Cranberries Sweetened with Apple Juice – It is beyond me why there is so much sugar in dried fruit. Fruit is already sweet! If it’s sweetened with evaporated cane juice or organic sugar, it’s still sugar. I’ve looked high and low for juice-sweetened cranberries and Eden Foods is the only brand I’ve found.
- Mi-Del Honey Grahams – They are sweetened with honey and molasses. No preservatives, so they have a short shelf life, but that’s a GOOD thing!
- Natracare Organic Cotton Tampons and Seventh Generation Chlorine Free Ultra-Thin Pads – I apologize for getting personal here, but we’re among friends, right? What woman wants chlorine and pesticides in their feminine hygiene products. Natracare Tampons are biodegradable, too, so they are good for you and the environment. Vitacost sells these for WAY less than the grocery store.
- Vitacost Magnesium, 500mg – The majority of Americans are magnesium deficient. Magnesium can help those suffering from constipation and migraines. It can also be used to treat insomnia, depression, osteoporosis, and high blood pressure. I am a huge fan of magnesium. Make sure you subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss future posts on the benefits of magnesium. This is my first time with this brand. I switched from a popular name brand because it had artificial coloring in it.
- Natural Factors Bromelain, 500mg – An enzyme found in the core of a pineapple. It has such profound anti-inflammatory properties that doctors recommend it post-surgery. This is my first go-round with a bromelain supplement. I’ve had a nagging neck muscle strain, no doubt from my increased time on the laptop. I’m also hoping it will help alleviate my migraines (a lifelong problem). Look for future posts on how the experiment went and on the many health benefits of pineapple and bromelain.
- Peelu Chewing Gum – Gum is full of sugar. Sugar-free gum usually has aspartame, which can cause cancer. Mint gum rarely has any mint in it. Peelu is sweetened with xylitol and stevia extract and contains natural oil of spearmint. This is a new product for me.
- Nutiva Organic Hemp Shake Vanilla & Garden of Life RAW Protein Beyond Organic Protein Formula – Food Babe lists both in her post, The Healthiest Protein Powders on the Market. If you don’t use one of Food Babe’s recommended protein powders, you probably shouldn’t use them at all. My husband has his shake as a snack (it will be his first time trying the Nutiva) and I put the Garden of Life in a smoothie every morning for breakfast. I kid you not, I am more satiated by the smoothie than I am by an egg and veggie omelette.
There you have it – that’s how I shop. Everything I buy is for a reason and everything I decide not to buy is for a reason. Shopping healthy doesn’t have to be expensive, you just have to know where to go. And when you shop online, you don’t have to go anywhere, so you are helping the environment and saving on gas, too. With many online merchants, you don’t pay sales tax and shipping is free if you order over a certain amount.
If you’d like to start shopping at Vitacost, click here get $10 off your first order. If you refer your friends, they will get $10 and so will you! How’s that for saving money for shopping healthy online!
Disclosure: I am not compensated for the products mentioned. However, if you use the referral link and place an order, I will receive $10 toward a future purchase at Vitacost.
- Healthy Super Bowl Meal Options
- Inexpensive Fix for Water Stains on Wood Furniture