Spring is here! With flowers, showers, and beautiful weather also comes allergies. Before you grab that decongestant and antibiotic read this post!
Yesterday, in my post My Journey toward Holistic Health: A Story of Relief from Chronic Pain, I chronicled my drug and expensive test-filled journey to treat migraines, sinus infections, and allergies. The story had a happy ending though! I am virtually pain and medication-free thanks to the following 5 steps. If you observe these steps, allergy season will be much more tolerable and you will be able to ward off allergy-induced sinus infections.
5 Simple Steps for Natural Allergy Relief
- Eliminate Dairy – As chronicled yesterday, this changed my life. The relief from mucus build up and sinus pressure was almost immediate. Cheese does not bother me so much (thank God!), but I can only have yogurt and milk very sparingly.
- Use a Neti Pot – Another life saver. At the first sniffle or sign of post nasal drip, I start with the neti pot. Please try it. I know it sounds weird and icky but it’s really not. It’s quite relaxing and refreshing. When I start the neti pot early, I NEVER develop an infection. We have been able to beat back infections without antibiotic with the neti pot, too. Use distilled or boiled water because we just don’t know what’s in our tap water. I recommend the Himalayan Institute Neti Pot and salt. The glaze on the neti pot is lead-free and the salt has no anti-caking agents or additives. You can also buy a Himalayan Institute Neti Pot Starter Kit that includes an essential oil blend.
- Gargle with Salt Water – Mix 1/8 tsp salt (you can use regular sea salt in this instance) with a 1/2 cup of tap water and gargle. A study published in the American Journal of Preventative Medicine and reported in the New York Times reported an almost 40% reduction in cases of upper respiratory infection in those who gargled three times a day.
- Take an Immune Support Supplement – When my immune system is compromised, I take a potent Vitamin C, zinc, echinacea blend. For everyday immune support, I take an antioxidant blend which includes Vitamins A, C, and E and grape seed extract. I also take a probiotic daily. To find out more information on the brand I prefer, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Seek Chiropractic Care – If these methods don’t work or you have an extreme case of sinusitis, try chiropractic care. It helped relieve pressure on nerves related to my sinuses. My allergies, sinus pressure, and migraines have significantly improved since starting chiropractic care over ten years ago.
For temporary relief of allergy and sinus pain, try a DIY Soothing Allergy Relief Balm from Frugally Sustainable.
Bookmark this page. Pin it on Pinterest. Print it out. Do what you have to do to remember these steps for relief this allergy season. You won’t be sorry. It will be your easiest allergy season ever.
- My Journey toward Holistic Health: A Story of Relief from Chronic Pain
- My Desperation Prayer