No excuses! It’s beautiful out! It’s warm, but not too hot. The days are longer.
This challenge doesn’t allow for the “I have little ones” argument that people give as to why they can’t exercise. The kids should be getting outside now, too. Take the kids on a walk around the block. Put the baby in a stroller and the dog on a leash.
The “no time” argument? Maybe the weekdays are busy for you, but how about weekends? Make them family or friend days. Take the family to the park and bike the trails. Meet with a friend who you haven’t seen for awhile and walk around the track at the local high school.
Here are 4 fun ways to get outside and get exercise that you may not have thought of:
- Rent a boat: Did you know many local parks have canoes, fishing boats, kayaks, and paddle boats for rent for reasonable prices? You will be surprised how much exercise you get from rowing, peddling, or paddling.
- Geocache: Did you know there were little geocaches hidden all around you? Geocaching is a fun, family friendly activity. You are given a GPS coordinate and you have to find a small hidden cache at that location. There is usually a small token in there for you to take and you leave a token for the next person. There is also a log book for you to sign. Check out Geocaching.com for caches near you!
- Volksmarch: The American Volkssport Association (AVA) encourages non-competitive noncompetitive walks, hikes, bike rides, swims, and in some regions cross-country skiing. In my area, Volksmarchers have laid out multiple walking trails where you can learn about history and nature while getting exercise. There are group events, but mostly, you complete the trails at your leisure and sign a log that you have completed the trail. Check out the AVA’s website for a local club.
- Fundraising walks: Almost every weekend, you can support some sort of cause by walking or running. Some are competitive, others are not. Most of the 5K races also have a walking category as well. These races have a fun, friendly atmosphere and can become addictive! Check your local paper or your local running club’s website for information.
Take advantage of the nice May weather and get outside and get active!
- May Spiritual Challenge: 31 Days of Being Thankful
- May Environmental Challenge: Rethink Your Leftovers